~Yours Truly~

I am a highschool student, and am currently a math tutor. If there is one thing I'm not half bad at in school, it's math. I can help explain any questions you have on any of my posts, or any math related problems you have (yes, that includes homework). I hope this is helpful to you. Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Geometric Mean

Something that plagues many geometry students is geometric mean. To be perfectly honest, there are few real life applications for this, but here we go:

Geometric Mean of Two Numbers:
If a question states something such as:

       Find the geometric mean of 75 and 10.

This is how you would write it out:

 x  = 10 
75     x

To solve, you would first cross multiply, or multiply diagonally.

x² = 750

Did you follow?
Now we are going to do the square root of both sides in order to get 'x' by itself:

x = 27.4 (Rounded to tenth)

If I was confusing, which I often am, comment, and I will attempt to clarify!

No comments:

Post a Comment