~Yours Truly~

I am a highschool student, and am currently a math tutor. If there is one thing I'm not half bad at in school, it's math. I can help explain any questions you have on any of my posts, or any math related problems you have (yes, that includes homework). I hope this is helpful to you. Enjoy!

Friday, June 14, 2013

Technicalities of Lines, Rays, and Line Segments

Some algebra and geometry teachers can be real sticklers when it comes to these three models. There are slight differences between the three and I'm going to help you separate them.

A Line Segment  has two define endpoints, which is how it is labeled, and has no arrows as follows:

Line segment AB:



A Line is like a line segment, in which it is identified by two points. The line however continues on in both directions, so the ends are marked with arrows:

Line AB and Line GH:


A Ray is a nice healthy mix of the two. One end ends in a point, while the other has an arrow. A Ray also is identified by two points:

Ray AB:


Any Questions? Please, comment. I am more than willing to help you with anything you need. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment